Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Dusting off the passport....

This weekend I am heading to Las Vegas with my friend, and sorority sister, Tanya. Its not another country, but it is pretty far! It just so happened that around the same time last year I visited Tanya. We were both born and raised in Pensacola so it was nice to see her in her new element and home...Washington D.C.!

Last year one of my 29 things to do in my 29th year was to visit a new city. Technically D.C. isn't a new city for me since I've been there once before, but I was so young that I don't remember nearly as much as I should. This trip was a chance for me to experience a great city as an adult that could remember some of it and also operate a camera!

When I first arrived Tanya mentioned that she had a "cheesy idea" of taking me on a Duck Tour. Hellllooo!!! I love Duck Tours! My first one was in Branson, MO and I've been on one in every city that I go that has them available since.

As we drove through the city, I can say that I was a little disappointed with our tour. We sat right behind the driver and with all of the fumes that was coming from the engine I am surprised that I am still able to stand up straight. Also, did you know that Washington D.C. is a very congested city? Everything is so close together that its hard to see the buildings when you are right on them. We had a great time during our trip though and I managed to see some great sights!

Our transportation for the day...The Sitting Duck






They give out quackers for free on the D.C. tour!


As we were out on the water a huge plane flew right over us...our whole boat rocked!




The next day we did a walking tour around the city.

The Korean War Memorial




Of course we made a stop past the Lincoln Memorial.


And looked across the reflecting pool.




The Vietnam Memorial




I live in Massachuesetts


She lives in Virginia


But we met in Florida!


Obviously being in D.C. made me feel more patriotic than I ever thought possible. I was surprised at how pretty the city was, how great the people were, and I will definitely make it back!