Thursday, March 26, 2009

Merrily we roll along...

Last year I reverted to my childhood years and did something I thought I would never do after the age of 12…I bought a bike!

I searched high and low until I found the perfect bike. The bike that I ended up with is classic, has a comfy seat, cruiser type handlebars, and is oh-so-cool. My bike is the Jaguar.



Nooo…I didn’t name it the Jaguar. That is actually the name my bike came with. Apparently Jaguar didn’t get enough satisfaction from manufacturing a car that makes most people drool so they moved on to next best thing, a bike.

Summer of 08 rolled around and I busted out my new bike. The Scientist and I would load the bikes up and head down to the Harbor Walk in South Boston to see how far I could ride. The Harbor Walk is 46.9 miles long and runs along the Boston Harbor. As I cruised along the boardwalk and it turned into sidewalk I passed by the JFK Library and saw an amazing view that is private to only this spot. We stopped for a bit to take pictures and just enjoy a beautiful Boston day.


Throughout the summer and early Fall The Scientist and I loaded up our bikes in the back of my Santa Fe and rode around Boston, Cambridge, Brookline and Watertown. Then it was time to take the show on the road! On a beautiful Friday we hopped on the ferry out of Hyannis and headed over to Martha’s Vineyard. I had always pictured the Vineyard as being a picturesque place with ice cream parlors and people playing Frisbee on the side of the road. After being on the vineyard for even just a few minutes I could see that I was wrong…it was so much more!

We hopped on our rented bikes, grabbed a couple of the printed bike routes that were available at the visitors center, and rode into the sun.


Riding along the bikes allowed us to enjoy the view in a way you don’t get from driving along at 45 mph. We got to feel the sun and wind as we rode along the bike path next to the water. We were able to hitch our bikes to a post and just walk along the neighborhoods.

Bike riding is tough. My butt hurts at the end of the day, my legs burn, and almost every time I get a ridiculous sunburn.

However, if I wasn’t sold on bike riding before my mind will forever be changed after our trip to Martha’s Vineyard.


So we are now approaching bike riding season of 2009. This year I have a bike rack for the Santa Fe (thank goodness for no more tugging and pulling) and I’m ready to get back out there. My trip tik for this year includes Nantucket, Providence and some great Newton neighborhood exploring.

Ride On!