The first "show" I ever saw on Broadway was when I was on a Spring Break trip to NYC in 1999. I had taken a trip to the Big Apple for the first time with my two sorority sisters, Tanya and Shannon. During our trip we did the typical tourist things like visit the Statue of Liberty, ride to the top of the Empire State Building, and check out the lights in Times Square.
But the highlight of the trip was going to see The Lion King at the Amsterdam Theatre.

The show had just come out and was sold out completely! Somehow through my mom's amazing searching skills on the internet she found 3 tickets for 3 college kids. To this day, I'm not sure how she found them.
The minute the first animal leaped onto stage I felt a tear roll down my face. I was in love. In love with the music. In love with the scenery. In love with the theatre. In love with the entire experience.
In Summer of 2001 I spent some time in London for an internship. It was shows galore there! Almost every place had 1/2 price tickets for students so on almost any free afternoon or evening I had I was out seeing something new and fun.
Les Miserables

CATS (Twice! Once with Dad!)

Mama Mia!

Phanton of the Opera

The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie

The Beautiful Game

ART

The Vagina Monologues (Twice!)

King Lear (at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre!)

A Midsummer's Night Dream (Open Air Theatre in Queen Mary's Rose Garden!)

It wouldn't be until 2003 when I moved to Connecticut that I would see another show on Broadway though. I got the bug in me to take the train over to NYC for the day and see something on Broadway. I went to the TKTS booth in the middle of Times Square and decided to get tickets for whatever was availabe. CHICAGO was the pick for that day.

Since I fell back in love with Broadway I payed several visits to shows, including:
Thoroughly Modern Millie (Dad's First Broadway play!)

Wicked (again with Dad!)

Avenue Q

I thought when I moved to Boston that I would no longer be privledged to see great Broadway shows on a regular basis. Honestly, the theatre is one of the main reasons I stay in the Northeast. It makes me happy just to THINK about going to see something new.
Imagine my surprise when I saw an ad for Broadway in Boston. Great shows would be coming to Boston! YIPPEE!
So in the past few weeks I've made it to several shows. I make a great evening out of it by going to get some sushi at my fave place in Boston, Jae's. Then I make my way down to the theatre for 2 1/2 hours of pure bliss.
First there was Shear Madness (my Mom discovered this one!)

Then there was Spamalot.

And again it was...WICKED!

and then tonight it was supposed to be Michael Bourne's Swan Lake.

Unfortuately after waiting for 40 minutes the audience was notified that "due to technical difficulties the show would be cancelled." Sigh...
I'm trying again on Sunday so keep those fingers crossed! :)
Soon after in May and June it will be Movin' Out and Annie. How great is that?! Its such a wonderful feeling to know that I can walk down to the Theatre District and pick up tickets to a local show anytime.
I'm looking forward to SHOWS! SHOWS! SHOWS!

