Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Wine Wednesday! (Day 161)

Noticing a trend? Wine Wednesday! I'm making it happen. Care to join me?


Check out my previous Wine Wednesdays here, here, and here. I've had the opportunity to check out some great wines over the past few months and tonight was no different. Lets get to it!


Tonight there were a few tasting going on at Gordons Wine. My friend, Cathy, and I headed up for the first round with Alois Lageder Wines of Alto Adige, Italy. 




The Director of Marketing and Sales for Alois Lageder Wines, Urs Vetter, was our presenter tonight. He was super informative and had some great one-lines that I thought were entertaining. Plus, he gave me a great geography lesson on Italy. Check out all the notes I took!


On the menu for tonight's tasting:


2008 Lageder Pinot Grigio
2009 Lageder Muller Thurgau
2008 Lageder Gewurtraminer
2008 Lageder Beta Delta Chard/Pinot Grigio
2007 Lageder Benfizium Porer Pinot Grigio
2009 Lageder Rosato Lagrein
2006 Lageder Lagrein

It is easy to see if you have read the blog for any amount of time that I'm a BIG fan of red wines.


Ready to find out the bottles that went home with me? Think you can guess? I bet you $1 you can't. ;)

Tonight's winners were Pinot Grigio and the Rosato Lagrein, which basically means Syrah Rose. Surprised?! I was too!

After the first tasting was done we had 45 minutes to kill. Cathy had a great idea...a picnic! We both brought some goodies and had our little dinner in the tasting room. 


In the mix: couscous, a version of spicy gazpacho, macaroni salad, grapes, hummus and pita, and sugar cookies.


Anyone else find it as funny as I did that I was snacking on grapes during a WINE tasting? I've kept the grape industry in business tonight!


Next up on the agenda was winemaker Hugh Hamilton of Australia. I seriously love an Australian accent. I try and try to replicate it and just can't make it work. Hugh had his down to a T. ;)


Huge brought along some great wines for us to try, all with fantastic names, including:

Jim-Jim Shiraz
Jim Jim Unoaked Chardonnay
Hugh Hamilton “The Scallywag” Chardonnay
Hugh Hamilton “The Rascal” Shiraz
Hugh Hamilton “The Villain” Cabernet sauvignon
Hugh Hamilton “Jekyll and Hyde” Shiraz-Viognier

See those Jim-Jim wines? Jim-Jim is Hugh's dog and even has his own website!


Since this tasting started at 8 my regular wine partner was able to meet up with Cathy and I...The Scientist! He always likes to make his presence known.For some reason I always get to take home some form of calculation whenever we do a tasting together. 


During our tasting we had a great discussion on rose wines and their gaining popularity. I'm certainly learning to love them and apparently Gordon's thinks everyone else should give them a try too! Nothing like being pressured into buying some wine.


Despite my love for Hugh's wines, Gordon's didn't have the bottles I was interested on hand to buy. Next time!!!