I am truly a Girl Raised In The South (G.R.I.T.S.). I have a little bit of a twang on some words I say. I can appreciate NASCAR. I'm a fan of Stone Cold Steve Austin. But most of all...I'm a lover of grits!
For some reason the Northeast is seriously against grits and rarely, if ever, stock them in the grocery store. If they do, they are instant and usually the "Butter" variety. Blah. This morning I woke up feeling super GRITS and decided to put Oh She Glows Savory Oats to the test to see if they would fit the nitch. Again, I did some tweaking and came up with my own variety.
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. almond milk
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
A little bit of cumin
A little bit of chili powder
A little bit of black pepper
I cooked it all up for about 10 minutes and then topped it off with some chopped up red onions, 1/4 avocado, and a few sprinkles of my Garlic Garlic.
It wasn't exactly grits, but the nutritional yeast gave the illusion of cheese and helped really thicken up the oats. It hit the right spot in this Southern Gal!

