After my trek to see all the plants at Home Depot that were ready for planting I was feeling a bit of spring fever and the need to have some fresh veggies in my belly. I had all the makings for some Yummy in my Tummy Salsa so I got to work.
The Cast of Characters:
Red onion, 1 nice sized tomato, 2 tomatillos, 1/2 of a jalepeno pepper, lots of garlic
Have you ever tried a tomatillo? Despite its name and being referred to as the "green tomato" in Mexico, it is not a tomato. Tricky huh? They have a paper-thin husk around the outside that starts to break open as they ripe and mature. When you do peel them they are a bit sticky and need a good washing down.
Back to some salsa making...
I chopped all my goodies up and threw them in my fancy mixing bowl. Just so you know, I am a HUGE garlic fan so I used about 3 cloves for this small serving of salsa. I feel like you should know this for 2 reasons.
1. Be aware in case we talk in person on a regular basis.
2. You might want to reduce the amount you use for your own batch to satisfy your tastebuds.
I also want to share with you my story about the first time I chopped a jalepeno...with bare hands. They were burning so bad by the end of the night from touching the seeds that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER to have them amputated. Those seeds can cause some serious damage so handle with care! Either that or have some milk and hand sanitizer close by. Phew...I'm sweating just thinking about it.
Again back to the salsa making...Mix it all up nice & good. If you even an ounce more restraint than I do, you will put this in the fridge to marinate all together. If you are on the same level of restraint as I am then you will start to dig in while the mixing is even occurring.
Ok, so I am a firm believer in picking the right chip for your salsa. It can really make or break the taste. My absolute fave chip is the Tostito with a Hint of Lime. Holy guacamole they are good. I don't like to discriminate though so I try out other kinds when I get the chance. Today I decided to give the Kettle Brand Cheddar and Sour Cream chips a try.
I'm happy to announce that they were quite tasty. I'm not sure if I would eat them all on their own because it was a bit too much "cheesy" flavor all at once for me, but combined with my super tasty salsa and it was a match made in heaven. The tartness of the tomatillos and heat of the jalepeno was just what was needed to cut the strong flavor of the chip. Two cheesy thumbs up!
Enjoy!

