Friday, April 23, 2010

A date with the MoMA (Day 112)...

"Boys and girls of every age, Wouldn't you like to see something strange?" 
--A Nightmare Before Christmas

I've been a fan of Tim Burton for as long as I can remember. I have fallen in love with all of his films and I continue to be amazed by all the creativity he has. Although I am a fan of all of his movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas is my fave. My desk at work is home to several figurines from The Nightmare Before Christmas, my Halloween pumpkin was Jack Skellington's face (remember?), and I have every intention on dressing up as Sally some Halloween. 

The MoMA had a Tim Burton exhibit from Nov 2009-this weekend. There were book signings, guided tours, and movie screenings. I bought a ticket for Friday morning and was ready.to.go.

On the way to the MoMA, I stopped by the juice man's truck. Hello juice man!


I love how juices are so readily available along the streets. I'm obsessed with the idea of owning a juicer and making my own, but until then I will gladly hand over my $4.50 for a large #23 Body Wiser.  


Pay no attention to my nail polish that is made for a 13-year-old girl.

After sucking this baby down in record time I skipped across the street to get my Tim Burton on. Unfortunately, I immediately saw a line that wrapped around the ENTIRE building. No kidding. The WHOLE building.



I thought I was going to cry. Then I realized that all this people were in line to BUY tickets. I'm a super smart girl and had bought my online several weeks ago so I jumped the line and waltzed in. I can't say that I didn't have a little smirk on my face either. ;)

I knew I had made it when I saw "Balloon Boy" in the museum lobby. 





No photos were allowed inside the exhibit, but I can tell you that it was as fantastic as I imagined! Burton was a creative genius even as a child. The amount of imagination and original creativity is astonishing. I got to see drawings he did as a kid, sketches for almost all of his movies, and items directly from Edward Scissorhands. Awesome. Just absolutely awesome.

Buuutttt...I do have one small complaint. If I buy a timed ticket, then why the heck do they let so many people into the exhibit at once?! It was PACKED. I don't mind throwing a few elbows to get in where I want to look, but this was nuts. MoMA...take note. Honor the timed tickets!

After the exhibit I did a little looking around the rest of the museum. I instantly could tell that I needed a few hours to go through everything so I decided to hit up some of the major highlights. Ready?






A tapestry of the 1000 longest rivers in the world.

Andy Warhol!


Before I grab some lunch I leave you with this exhibit. A woman, Marina Abramovic, has an exhibit called "The Artist is Present". Each day for several months, Marina sits down in a chair and invites visitors to the MoMA to sit across from her for an undetermined amount of time. This is all video recorded.  She wants people to feel like they are a part of her work. Interesting, right? ;)



The museum's parting words...