Saturday, March 27, 2010

Give me a Saturday morning (Day 85)...


And I'll give you a 5 hour walk! Today was my 18 miler endurance walk. The Scientist agreed to be my walker buddy again and he was not in the mood to be walking till 4p in the afternoon. We were on the road and walking by 7a! Unlike last weekend it was a bit cooler and we could feel it on our hands immediately. Brrrr! Training in all these different types of weather changes is good though. I really have no idea what to expect for weather the weekend of the walk. It has rained, almost snowed, and been blazing hot in the years I have done it. I will be prepared!

The route:

Usually ever few yards or so I pass someone coming or going on the path. However, one of the benefits of getting out there early is that you have the road/trail all to yourself! We walk for a good 3 or 4 miles before we started running into people.


Another benefit of these endurance walks is that I'm seeing parts of Boston that I would probably never have passed. For instance, walking along the Esplanade I ran into these two beautiful creatures!

I thought by the 3rd or 4th hour of walking that we would have warmed up a little. WRONG. When we got to the bridge we had to cross to go from Boston to Cambridge I was worried we were going to get a little frost bite. Kidding. It wasn't that cold, but it was quite windy! The view was beautiful though.

This walk was a little different from most. It was longer, it was colder, and it was harder. On every other walk I have just gone the whole way through without stopping. It is NOT a realistic picture of how the walk will actually be. There are rest stops to fill up on water or have a snack. I don't plan on stopping at every one of them, but I do plan on doing it at least once for "lunch". This walk we decided to try out the break and see what it felt like. We stopped at Starbucks around Mile 12 for a quick steamed non-fat milk and a string cheese. It was the perfect pit stop and really got us back in gear.


After 18 miles, 5 hrs and some sore feet we were finally done. Next week is a short walk day and then it is MOCK WALK time!