Bright and early, Cathy picked me up and we headed down to the walk to meet up with the rest of the team from her job. Cathy's team is considered a "Gold Team" and a part of the "Extra Mile Club". Apparently that means they get to carry balloons, get all kinds of incentive prizes and the best thing of all...VIP breakfast!
Our "VIP" breakfast consisted of bagels, slices of melon and these fun Budi Bites.
We even got some OJ. ;) I didn't feel so VIP once we got in the tent, but I did appreciate a nice little breakfast before starting the walk. We also had a great view of the runners doing their thing in the pouring rain.
Once the weather cleared up we headed out to check out the tents and watch people come in.
The theme of the walk this year was Love, Hope, Honor, Action.
Despite the rain, we enjoyed the opening ceremonies. Including a wonderful serenade from the Boston Gay Men's Chorus.
Once the singing was done and the rain had let up a little, it was time to get walking. The route was a little more than 6 miles through Back Bay, into Brookline and back along the Esplanade to the Hatch Shell.
We kind of strolled the walk. We enjoyed the view, chatted and loved seeing all the supporters along the route. When we got back to the Hatch Shell we checked out all the vendors in the Wellness Village.
My favorite was the Grillo's Pickles guy. I love him and his amazing pickles. Mmmm... The spicy pickles are by far the best.
I'm glad that I joined up with Cathy for this walk. It was such a different experience than the Avon Walk. Any chance to get out to support a great cause AND get in some exercise is A-OK with me.
Have a great Sunday! I'm off to enjoy some of The Scientist's homemade Lobstah rolls. My mouth is watering already!

