Monday, April 05, 2010

Another day, another egg (Day 93)...

Despite the fact that I had a few escapee eggs the other day, I still had plenty of hard boiled eggs left over after everyone got their dye on. What to do, what to do. Egg salad was meant to be!

My favorite egg salad EVER is at Michael's Deli at Coolidge Corner in Brookline. It is piled a mile high and has a great mustardy taste. I'm obsessed with mustard so this style is right up my alley. Unfortunately Michael's is not near my house anymore and I have the feeling those suckers aren't the best thing for me.

If I couldn't have Michael's Egg Salad then I decided to do the next best thing and make my own.

The cast of characters:
3 hard boiled eggs, chili powder, dijon mustard, lime juice, garlic, 
some chopped up red onion and a dash of cumin.


See that little red package in the back? This is a must have for any garlic lover. These are individually frozen cubes of garlic that each equal 1 clove. They melt almost instantly and taste like freshly chopped garlic. Just pop one out and go on your way. So easy!



I didn't really measure any of my ingredients, just kind of mixed them together to taste. If you aren't a big garlic fan, one cube or clove might be a little too much for you. I'm a garlic fan so it was a goldilocks moment for me (*just right*). The result looks a bit funky, but it tasted SO good. Nothing says yummy like yellow eggs salad. Ha!


To finish off my meal I was craving a little something sweet. I've been reading all kinds of articles about using blue agave.  Agave is most widely recognized as the plant from which tequila is made, but the nectar can also be used as a sweetner, with a similar taste/texture to honey. I decided to give it the ol' college try and picked some up during my last trip to Trader Joe's.

I love grapefruit but it can be way to tart for me. Instead of sprinkling a little sugar like I would normally, I decided to just drizzle a little blue agave over the top.





Holy agave...this stuff was fantastic! Sure it looked and kind of felt like honey, but it was so different. It was smooth, light and was the perfect addition to my little grapefruit. Score 1-Erin, Trader Joe's AND Blue Agave!

Have you ever used Blue Agave sweetner? If so, what other ways do you use it?