June 22-26th Boston was graced with my Dad's presence. It was a jammed packed weekend despite the miserable weather. I wasn't aware that it rained so much in Boston. Everyone here says "Oh, its never been like this before." Hmpf. They said that about the snow too. LIARS! But back to the weekend...
Due to the unfortunate weather my dad's flight was a bit delayed. When I say a bit I really mean after midnight. Believe it or not, Boston is not the city that never sleeps. It sleeps and normally around 11 or so. Late night diner to the rescue!
The South Stree Diner is a slighty unattractive establishment in the Chinatown part of Boston. Its clientele usually consists of drunks, a few homeless, and the goth crowd. Its ALWAYS good for people watching. People watching till 5am! Fortunately for me my dad is always a good sport so he had no problem watching me eat a grilled cheese while he dined away on a heartattack on a plate, otherwise known as a Monte Cristo. We also had the unfortunate pleasure of having a raspberry-lime ricky. To this day I am not really sure what the heck this drink is.
Friday, June 23rd
The following morning Dad and I woke up to make the required Parent/Child trip to Target. No trip is complete without some type of home repair needed to be done by my dad. ;) This time it was a new shower head. Lucky dad!
On the way home the weather only continued to get better by turning into a small storm with hail the size of golf balls. I always thought that saying was made up so imagine my surprise when I realized it is not. Hmpf.
Always up for a new adventure Dad and I decided to venture down to Chinatown again in search of dim sum. We hit the jackpot at China Pearl.
Its always an interesting experience to be in Chinatown. They make no qualms about not trying to understand you so eating dim sum can be even more confusing. Dad and I just chose whatever looked interesting and for the most part we were pleasantly suprised. Who knew that yellow squash in some dough would be so good?! The best part about the meal...we had about 15 plates and it only cost us $16. $16!!! Who gets a meal for 2 in Boston for $16?! No trip to Chinatown without a bubbletea. You think we would learn by now that its best just to stick with the basics when ordering bubbletea, but as always, Dad tried to get fancy with his tea so it turned our bubbletea trip into yet another event. :)

Bubbletea and dim sum make for two tired people so it was back home for some rest and relaxation.
The original plan for Friday night was for Dad and I to go to our first Red Sox game together. It wasn't looking good for the game because of the weather but we ventured down to Fenway anyway. We made our way to Game On (a bar), along with a million other people, and had some dinner. You can't go wrong with nachos and cider. :)
Thank goodness we took the chance because as we walked out of Game On the skies cleared up and the game was on! It was still a bit drizzly so dad and I bought what would end up being one of the better purchases of the day.
We weren't neccessarily the best dressed folks in Fenway Park but we were certainly some of the driest!
The game ended up being fabulous. I had no idea that Fenway Park would be a prime people watching area. I think it may be possible that dad only watched about one inning total of the game. HA! However, we did manage to take advantage of the great vendors. Peanuts, footlongs, and margaritas. I know, I know. Who drinks margaritas at a baseball game but we don't do beer so it was the next best thing!
Outside of Fenway Park
Before the game started
We <3 the Red Sox!
Finally taking the tarp off the field!
Dane Cook threw out the first pitch. He also got booed. It was a bit sad!

Erin with Wally Monster

Dad with Wally Monster

Scoreboard!

Dad loves the Red Sox


Saturday, June 24th
Saturday was another busy day and we started the day off early. Dad and I normally eat our way through most vacation and this one was no different.
We started our day off with brunch at the Langham Hotel Chocolate Buffet. Dad and I stuffed ourselves with delectable treats, custards, crepes, and some weird truffle thing with spices.
Dad outside of Langham hotel

Waiting for our reservation

The Buffet!

My parents and I had visited this buffet once before. You never really get tired of a chocolate buffet though! :)
Dad and I felt almost comatose after the buffet so we decided to walk through Fanueil Hall to work some of the calories off.
City Hall in Government Center

Cow's On Parade in Government Center


Check out Dad's crocs! Perfect for a rainy day.

View in Fanueil Hall

The fun didn't end there though!
That night we headed out to see Blue Man Group. I've heard of Blue Man for what seems like forever, but I always thought of it simply as a show with them beating on things and paint going everywhere. I couldn't imagine making a show over 30 minutes of this. Boy, what I way off the mark! Blue Man was hilarious!

I managed to snag second row seats for Dad and I. We certainly were up close and personal with the stage. We were given ponchos (how many times can a person wear a poncho in a weekend?!) and given a piece of crepe paper to tie around our heads.


Dad and I were crying from laughing so hard. Dad even did his silent laugh!


Outside of the theatre...notice anything Mom?!

I took Dad to the late show (10pm) of Blue Man but when we made it out we decided to make our way down to the local tavern in my neighborhood, Washington Square Tavern.
Dad only lasted one drink. Old man. :)
Sunday, June 25th
Another early morning in Boston! Dad and I had a hard time getting up but we had to be down at the harbor by 10am to go on a whale watch!
Remember me mentioning the bad weather? Yet again...rain was in the forecast.
My dad and I, along with a million tourists, boarded the boat and immediately I was glad that I took the dramamine my dad forced on me. People were getting sick everywhere!
Dad and I quickly took a stance back on the back of the boat. We were going to enjoy it no matter what!
The view of Boston from the boat.

Dad on the top of the boat! (Check out his sweatshirt...Go FSU!)

Too much hair for that much wind.

Blown away, but still having fun!

Dad being a nut.

Sigh...it was a whirlwind weekend with fun around every corner. Lots of laughs, lots of smiles and best of all...quality time with my dad!
Next Up...MOM COMES TO BOSTON!






